Diabetology is a specialty of medicine dealing with diabetes, its prevention and treatment.
The disease is caused by lack of a hormone called insulin which is produced by the pancreas or by the body’s resistance to insulin or both. Since the cells are not able to take up glucose without insulin, in case of absolute or relative lack of insulin, the blood glucose level is elevated and this is responsible for the symptoms.
Types of diabetes:
- Type 1 (insulin dependent): manifests in children or adolescents. In this case there is little or no insulin in the body.
- Type 2 (not insulin dependent for a while): develops in adults or elderly people. It is typical of this disease that although the pancreas produces insulin, but the body is not able to utilize it.
- Secondary diabetes: it may be associated with several diseases and genetic disorders.
You have to pay special attention to blood sugar measurements if diabetes has occurred in your family or you are over 40 years and/or overweight!
Signs and symptoms:
In case of type 1 diabetes:
- increasing thirst
- intense feeling of hunger
- increased amount of urine
- rapid weight loss
- intense fatigue
In case of type 2 diabetes:
- intense thirst
- increased feeling of hunger
- frequent urination
- fatigability and irritability
- impaired vision
- slower healing of wounds and inflammations
- more frequent infections
- tingling and numbness of the hands and feet
- sexual problems
In Emineo Healthcare and Trauma Centre our consultant diabetologist assesses your signs and symptoms and performs all the necessary diagnostic and laboratory tests. The therapy for diabetes is personalized depending on the background and stage of the disease and other circumstances.
Consultation hours: Monday: from 16:00 to 19:00.
- Consultation fee: 22.000 HUF